Duffy Dillon is the founder of Dillon | Grube and one of the most experienced trial lawyers and business advisors working in Rock County today. He focuses his practice in four areas: personal injury, civil litigation, family law, and outside general counsel for local businesses.
Duffy has litigated personal injury cases throughout his career. After spending 19 years handling personal injury claims for accident victims and insurance companies alike, Duffy founded our firm in 2019 so that he could devote 100% of his personal injury practice on helping accident victims recover full compensation for their injuries. Duffy has recovered millions in settlements and judgments for his personal injury clients over the course of his career.
Unlike some personal injury lawyers, Duffy has also litigated a broad range of civil disputes throughout his career. Duffy’s civil litigation experience includes but is not limited to claims for breach of contract, defamation, employment law discrimination and non-compete claims, and trademark infringement, as well as disputes over insurance coverage, property rights, and zoning and land use. (See a complete list of types of cases Duffy has litigated below)
As Duffy’s business clients came to appreciate his advocacy and skills in the courtroom, those same clients started asking Duffy to help them in their boardrooms, too. Today Duffy acts as outside general counsel for local manufacturers and service providers who rely on him to help tackle the day-to-day legal needs most businesses face. Duffy’s business clients appreciate the unique experiences Duffy brings to the table as their counsel. Duffy’s accounting background helps him understand what makes their businesses “go,” his litigation experience helps him ask the right questions about the risks they face, and his personal experiences launching and running his own businesses help him relate to business owners in ways that some lawyers cannot.
Duffy spent several years litigating family law cases at the outset of his career. He resumed his family law practice after opening our firm in 2019. Duffy’s family law clients benefit from his experience, steady temperament, accounting background, and sound judgment -- particularly in divorces involving business owners where property division disputes can be more involved.
Born and raised in Janesville, Duffy is a proud graduate of Craig High School, Class of 1993 valedictorian. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration degree with an emphasis in accounting summa cum laude from the University of Notre Dame. He received his law degree from the University of Wisconsin, where he also served as the Senior Administrative Editor of the Wisconsin Law Review.
Duffy returned to Rock County to practice law in 2000 because he believes there is no better place to live and raise a family. After Duffy spent the first 19 years of his career working at the two largest law firms in Rock County, he decided to open his own law firm in 2019 so that he could leverage modern technology to deliver legal services to his clients as efficiently as possible.
Duffy has served numerous nonprofit organizations since returning to Rock County in 2000, including: the United Way Blackhawk Region, the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin (past board member); the Janesville Performing Arts Center (past board member and president); Janesville Youth Baseball & Softball Association (past board member, past president, and co-chair of Youth Sports Complex capital campaign); Janesville Basketball Association; and the Janesville Generations Fund, a component fund of the Community Foundation of Southern Wisconsin (current chairperson). Duffy will forever be grateful to the Janesville community for the support it contributed to developing JYBSA’s 40-acre / 10-field facility at the Janesville Youth Sports Complex.
Duffy lives in Janesville with his wife, two teenage sons, and two dogs.
DUFFY'S BAR ADMISSIONS
State of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
PUBLICATIONS AND COURT CASES
"Child Custody and the Developmentally Disabled Parent," 2000 Wisconsin Law Review 127.
Glendenning’s Limestone & Ready-Mix Company, Inc., v. Reimer, 2006 WI App 161, 295 Wis. 2d 556, 721 N.W.2d 704.
Williams v. American Transmission Company, LLC, 2007 WI App 246, 306 Wis. 2d 181, 742 N.W.2d 882.
Cottonwood Financial, LTD v. Darcie Estes, 2012 WI App 12, 339 Wis.2d 472, 810 N.W.2d 852.
DUFFY’S REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Motor vehicle accidents involving taxis and common carriers
- Amusement ride accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Car accidents
- Construction accidents
- Dog bites
- Drunk and Intoxicated Driving accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability claims
- Professional negligence claims
- Slip and fall claims
- Swimming and diving accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Water park accidents
- Wisconsin Safe Place Law
- Wisconsin Wrongful Death claims
- Breach of contract claims
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Business and shareholder disputes
- Claims by crime victims
- Construction claims
- Defamation claims
- Employment law claims
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims
- False advertising claims
- Fraud and misrepresentation claims
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Nuisance claims
- Partition claims
- Property disputes
- Theft by contractor claims
- Trademark claims
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) disputes
- Unfair competition claims
- Unjust enrichment claims
- Wisconsin Consumer Act claims
- Zoning and land use disputes and appeals
Outside general counsel
- Business formation and governance issues
- Confidentiality agreements / Letters of intent
- Drafting sale terms and conditions
- Drafting warranty programs
- Insurance issues
- Intellectual property agreements
- Investigation and litigation of employee-related claims, including employment agreement claims, discrimination claims, wage and hour claims, and breach of noncompete claims
- Investigation and defense of third-party claims
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements for the manufacture, sale, and purchase of products and services, agreements pertaining to real estate, and distribution
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements pertaining to real estate
- Negotiation and drafting of distribution and supply contracts
- Negotiation and drafting of employee-related plans and agreements, including benefit plans, employment agreements, noncompete agreements, and separation agreements
- Real estate issues, including property acquisition, property zoning, conditional use permits, and financing
- Trade secret protection
- Trademark registration and protection
- Property Division
- Business Valuations
- Child Support